$defaults = array(
‘theme_location’ => ”,
‘menu’ => ‘FishingReportMenu’,
‘container’ => ‘div’,
‘container_class’ => ”,
‘container_id’ => ”,
‘menu_class’ => ‘reportmenu’,
‘menu_id’ => ”,
‘echo’ => true,
‘fallback_cb’ => ‘wp_page_menu’,
‘before’ => ”,
‘after’ => ”,
‘link_before’ => ”,
‘link_after’ => ”,
‘items_wrap’ => ‘
‘depth’ => 0,
‘walker’ => ”
wp_nav_menu( $defaults );
Fishing Report 2015
- 26SaturdayDecember 2015Started with a narrow inlet and fogKil song came down to test out some new black hole jigging rods, nothing like dealing with thick fog, shallow narrow inlet, and no water. But we managed to get the day in as we spent most of the day around wrecks and rocks battling amberjack and king mackeral, We did fish on the rocks at the end of the day and managed to wrestle a few blackfins away from sharks.
- 21MondayDecember 2015Great fishing in DecemberEven though it's December the fishing is still good. We have been commercial fishing on days we don't have charters and are pretty enough to get offshore. Today Larry his wife and Shawn joined us for some live bait action, we eased off to the bad bottom where bites were pretty consistent all day. A limit of fish up to 40lbs didn't take long to catch.
- 28SaturdayNovember 2015Tuna vs. Sharks (and more sharks)Sharks, Sharks, Sharks!! The name of the game today was to see how long you could keep your tuna on before a shark ate it! Lots of tuna marks, lots of tuna bites, and lots of sharks. It would have been a great day if the boys wanted to target sharks!! We did manage to wrestle 3 1/2 tunas away from the sharks and a few silver snappers as well.
- 24TuesdayNovember 2015Hard work after 3 days of a hard north windAfter 3 days of hard north wind we weren't sure what to expect this morning. We caught live bait then ventured offshore. The water was dirty brown and cold so we kept on going off to the blue water, we found it offshore of the rocks and rough. After tuna fishing until lunch time with no bites, we pulled the plug and ran back in where the commercial fleet was getting a few king bites. We managed 3, and got to see a beautiful sunset on the ride home.
- 18WednesdayNovember 2015Moved to plan B and caught some tunaWe ran all over the ocean today looking for live bait to king fish with. Well we finally found it then ran all over the ocean looking for fish. Well we never found them so off we went running again offshore to look for tunas. Glad we found them! Thanks David sorry we couldn't make the live bait work but plan B worked out!
- 16MondayNovember 2015123lb White MarlinWe started off looking for bait this morning to go king mackerel fishing, but the giant bluefin tuna decided to make a showing a mile off the beach in the area we have been catching live bait. They didn't seem interested in our baits we had to offer so we caught some menhaden and went offshore. The kings made a good showing as we caught 10, before the rest of the day was spent fighting Marlins. A white marlin release and we caught another white that weighed 123lbs. He got tail wrapped and came up dead so we decided to take him home.
- 15SundayNovember 2015Smokers on live baitSmokers!! The live bait fishing is as good as it gets. It took us a little while this morning to catch bait but we finally got it and it don't last long in the water offshore from the beach. Plenty of bites from kings up to 55lbs. A tuna and a sailfish rounded out the day. Thanks Jeff, Stephan, and Shawn!
- 12ThursdayNovember 2015Great second day for the KingsSome real smokers today!! A 63, a few 50's and some 40lbers were on the menu today. Bites were pretty far apart but we got it done. The morning started off slow and as the day went on the wind picked up and so did the bites. Thanks Mike, not a bad average for 2 days of fishing 2-10!!!! Haha. We will give you another chance this spring at a bluefin.
- 11WednesdayNovember 2015Great day for kings and tunaWe started off in a 20-25 knot NW wind this morning but as the day went on the wind fell out. The fish decided to bite later in the day as well. A limit of kings and a tuna rounded out the day. The live bait was fairly easy to catch this morning which was the bait of choice today. Even though the water was dirty it didn't seem to have a negative effect on the fish. Let's hope they stay around live bait action is about as exciting as bluefin tuna green stick fishing, I love it!
- 01SundayNovember 2015Great fall fishing!!!Well we started off November with a bang!! We started off around the 190 line this morning and the wahoos went to snapping! We made short order in a few circles with the wahoos, and Bonnie caught a nice 60lb citation. We ventured up further east and found some tunas around the mid 200's. And finished up with some mahi on a change. Great fall fishing!!
- 07SaturdayNovember 2015Kings galoreWe caught live baits this morning in the cast net and headed off in search of kings!! It didn't take long and they were skying on our baits!! We had steady action all day on 30lb test tackle, and even found 4 blackfin tunas that wanted to join the kings in the ice box for a ride home!!
- 24SaturdayOctober 2015Mahi and tuna today even with choppy waterWell the weatherman was way off today, imagine that? The wind never fell out this morning like the forecast called for, but it did increase, imagine that? We caught some tunas and some mahi in a rather choppy ocean, just not enough of them! The Gulf Stream was roaring today at 3.5 knots of current so bottom fishing was pretty much ruled out.
- 22ThursdayOctober 2015Great fishing with the GreenstickWe set out on the 230 this morning and immediately started getting bites on the Greenstick squids!!! A awesome morning of tuna bites kept Charles and the boys busy! A few mahi and a wahoo rounded out the day, we fished up to the 260 and back down to the 230 area. Plenty of fish to go back to lake Norman!
- 21WednesdayOctober 2015Great afternoonWe headed back up to the east in search of tunas! With 3 knots of tide screaming up the beach it was looking pretty bleak at lunch time. Around 1:00 the current started dropping out, they started biting!!! We ended up with a nice catch of blackfins and a few sea bass as well!
- 17SaturdayOctober 2015Appears tuna had lock jaw todayWe headed east this morning where the fleet left the tuners yesterday. We set out in the 350's and worked up the beach in beautiful blended water. The only problem was the tunas had lockjaw, trolled through bait and birds up to the 430 without a tuna sighting. We found a few amberjack at the end of the day around some rocky bottom.
- 13TuesdayOctober 2015Rough day on the waterRough!! Rough!! Rough!! That's the name of the game from today. The stiff west wind this morning only got stronger throughout the day and the seas built to Too Big! We headed down south and had quite a few wahoo bites but with the big sea we lost quit a few of them we did capture 3 including this pig! A dozen mahi some bottom fish and some amberjacks rounded out the day. We decided to come in with the rest of the fleet around 1;00 as the seas got almost unbearable. But Brad and the guys stuck it out, and ended up having a great catch.
- 10SaturdayOctober 2015Overcast and a swift currentWith the cloudy overcast conditions and the warm water pushing in over the rocks it was a sure bet to head back to the east in hopes of the tunas biting. Well the tunas were no where to be found! We did manage some mahi, and then tried bottom fishing but the 3.5knots of current killed us..
- 06TuesdayOctober 2015Sound side flooding from Hurricane JoaquinNot much fishing to report from the last few days. Some extra sound side flooding from Hurricane Joaquin this morning, but it's expected to go down by this afternoon. Hopefully we will be back at it Thursday!! This picture is downtown Hatteras.
- 16WednesdaySeptember 2015Scrappy day for the fleet but we still had a low 270 pounds in the ice boxBill, George, and Jake from Virginia came down fishing with us today. Scrappy fishing today was the overall census from the fleet. We got on a school of mahi under some birds first thing this morning, and caught about 30. As we worked up to the east a wahoo found us. As soon as we got put back out a yellowfin found us too. We ended up around a secret wreck catching some stud bolt amberjacks!!!
- 15TuesdaySeptember 2015Great day for the guys from OhioThe guys from Ohio picked away at the mahi all day, so we ended up with 50 or so. They were under birds and stayed deep. Spinning rods with 20lb leaders and trout jigs were the only thing they seemed to bite on. We did find a wahoo and caught some reel screamers on a wreck as well!!
- 14MondaySeptember 2015A old bull mahi and a filled boxWe started the morning off catching a few mahi around the weather buoy, with the green water pushing in and no grass we decided to see if the tunas wanted to bite. On the way to the rocks we found a 47lb mahi!!! Brad's first day in the gulf stream and this was his reward. A truly huge Dolphin, this size mahi are very few and far between! A few blackfins, some sea bass, silver snappers, vermillion snappers and amberjacks filled up the box!
- 08TuesdaySeptember 2015Best birthday giftJarod brought his dad out for his birthday. We started off strong with a few wahoo bites this morning. Around midday we had an encounter from a blue marlin and shortly thereafter found a float that had some mahi under it. We ended the day with some triggerfish action on the bottom. Hands down the best eating fish in the ocean!! A pretty day on the ocean with just enough action to keep everyone happy today!
- 06SundaySeptember 2015Great day for meat fishWe laid the hammer down today on 510lbs of meat for Jeff and the boys. Jeff owns jeffs Jerky in Ohio and makes all kinds of beef jerky. If you have ever been in the Midwest you've seen it somewhere in a store! He wanted to put a few fillets away for the winter and that he did. We headed south and set out on the 900. A pretty grass edge was loaded up with mahi. We bailed a limit and then caught some bottom fish. Vermillion snapper, triggerfish, white grunts, gag grouper, and some stud bolt amberjacks. See you this winter in West Virginia!!
- 05SaturdaySeptember 2015Wahoo were quick on the bait todayWe put the high speed lures out this morning at 17 knots and before we had the 2nd one out had a wahoo on. Just as soon as we put her in gear hooked a 50lber, followed by 2 more fish. Great!!! Caught 4 wahoos before we even put a ballyhoo in the water! Well it was 1:00 before we got our next trolling strike another wahoo, which was the last one of the day. We caught some mahi and amberjacks as well.
- 02WednesdaySeptember 2015Slower today but still a few mealsWe set out in the same area as the wahoos were in the last few days and hooked one immediately. Great they are still here!! Well he pulled off halfway to the boat then we went 4 hours without a bite! The current picked up a little bit today, and the water color changed. They did finally decide to bite for us today just enough to put 5 in the box. We did have a lot of short bites today where as the last few days we had very few bites. We also caught a nice blackfin and enough mahi for some fish tacos!
- 01TuesdaySeptember 2015Slamming wahoo!!!The guys from West Virginia had a great day. We set out under a double rainbow and hooked a double right away. First in the box were 8 nice wahoos, a few mahi and 2 tunas rounded out a meat Slam! Plenty of fish will be going back to West Virginia! Seems like the wahoos are here!
- 31MondayAugust 2015Wahooooooooooo!!!We made a hard right outside the Inlet this morning and headed south. The morning started off with a wahoo on the first bait in the water. We continued to pick away at a limit and threw in a few mahi to fill in the cracks!!! It's wahoo time guys!! Seems like they are here!
- 30SundayAugust 2015Poor weather but great fishingJean and Andy usually bring the bad weather with them to Hatteras, and this time was no different, we were suppose to go on Friday but had to sit it out until Sunday with an unexpected strong N wind the last 2 days. We caught a nice wahoo and some mahi. This nice snowy grouper fell for a jig in 800 ft of water! They opened the season back up for 2 weeks and then it closes. There certainly is no shortage of them. We made one drop on a small rock and had a bite before we even hit bottom.
- 26WednesdayAugust 2015Great day catching wahoo and mahiWe set out this morning where the wahoos were yesterday and quickly caught 4. We then headed offshore to look around in some grass patches for mahi. A white marlin made a quick appearance just long enough to see him, then back to the deep he went. We picked away at the mahi and ended up with 1/2 a limit!
- 25TuesdayAugust 2015Nice wahoo and mahi todayThe wahoos went to snapping this morning. Didn't take long before we had 10 even though barracudas got ahold of 2 of them but we got the better half! We pecked around the grass for a little while and found a few mahi for supper. The day was capped off by the guys jumping in the Gulf Stream! Another good day of fishing and plenty of wahoo for the freezer!!
- 24MondayAugust 2015Great day catching wahooHarold and his brother are from out west and decided to give the wahoos a try today. We stopped on some grass for a few minutes on the way out and caught some mahi. Then we turned our attention to wahoo fishing, we caught 4 but had some other bites we didn't catch, or you could say some very lucky wahoos!!
- 22SaturdayAugust 2015Great fishing even with northern windWell the weatherman was way off today. A stiff N wind howled for most of the morning but the mahi didn't mind. A limit of big bailers was put on ice fishing along some streaked out grass. We were up to the east again today so the bass got to ride back to Hatteras as well as a few silver snappers and amberjack. The boats that were south had some good wahoo fishing, but we were a little to far away from them. Even took a few with a bow. This has been some of the best bailer fishing we have ever seen for August!!
- 20ThursdayAugust 2015Awesome day for the mahi and some wahooThe mahi fishing was about as good as you wanted again today. We headed up to the east today and the current was smoking with a pretty weed line. We limited out and looked for a wahoo the rest of the day. We were lucky to find 2 and some jacks around the tower.
- 19WednesdayAugust 2015Great fishing on Day #3Stephen, George, Eric, Ruel, and Andre finished out day three with another smack down. We took off this morning way to the south to look around on the bottom. The dolphin were plentiful again and we bottom fished most of the day after we limited out. The current was screaming at 3 knots which is very difficult to fish, but these guys are very good at casting in front of the boat knowing how the tide will drift their rigs directly up and down. Caught quite a few triggers, vermillion snapper, porgys, and sand tiles.
- 18TuesdayAugust 2015Nice meat haul in excess of 500lbs.We threw the meat down again today, a limit of mahi, 18 tunas, a limit of bass, a few triggers and silvers, and a limit of amberjack filled up the box! That's 4 limits today! And well over 500lbs of fish! One more day with the boys from NYC and they will need a bigger uhaul to take the fish home in next year! We will see what happens tomorrow, think we might head south and look around on the bottom!!
- 17MondayAugust 2015Another great day catching mahi and bottom fishingWe set out into the middle of 500 mahi this morning up to the east and by 7:30 we were already limited out. So what's next? We trolled up to the east and found a few blackfin tunas, but the trolling seemed slow so we went to the bottom and found a limit of sea bass. A few really nice ones as well. A few silver snappers came up also. What next? Caught a limit of amberjack. On the way in we stopped to see if we could find a limit of kings, but nope they didn't want to bite. We caught one before we headed in with our meat haul.
- 16SundayAugust 2015Great day to be fishingWe set out this morning right into the middle of the Tunas up to the east. They were rolling, and jumping on top. The first two lines in the water had bites one of which was a 28lb citation blackfin. It didn't take long until they disappeared though strange how things can change so quickly. We caught 7 though before they went down. A few boats south of us were finding some mahi so we steamed down that way and limited out rather quickly. The kids were worn out after a long drive from Vermont so we headed in a little early to have the fish processed.
- 15SaturdayAugust 2015Nice fat wahoo for the wallStacey and Mike flew in from Tennessee looking for something big to put on the wall. We stayed out in the deep most of the day looking for a marlin without any luck. Some scattered bites from mahi, wahoo, and tuna kept them busy and still got a nice fat wahoo for the wall. Thanks guys.
- 14FridayAugust 2015Great day to pack the freezerThe ocean was a little bit choppier today than expected. But that didn't slow down the guys from slamming down 60 mahi in the first 45 minutes of the day. The mahi were pretty close to a hard bottom area so what the beach let's catch some triggerfish. The kids were worn out by lunch time, and ready to hit the pool at the rental house so we came in early, with plenty of fish for the freezer!!
- 13ThursdayAugust 2015Catch of the day: a big Red grouperWe had a pretty good meat haul today. Found a school of big bailers out in the deep this morning and then bounced around on the bottom the rest of the day for b liners, triggers, snappers, a red grouper, and some drag burning amberjacks. The catch of the day was a big red grouper!
- 12WednesdayAugust 2015The Kings are snappingWe took a 1/2 day trip out today to a little rocky bottom about 5 miles offshore. The Kings were snapping! We caught a limit, and even a few amberjacks. These small kings are great to eat especially sushi. if you've never had it before most sushi houses all sell it in their rolls.
- 08SaturdayAugust 2015Mahi, mahi, mahi, and some tuna!!!Mahi, mahi, mahi!! A very nice class of bailers showed up today in the deep on a grass edge. A few nicer size mahi were also put in the meat box as well. Just as we turned in onto the tuna grounds a bad storm started blowing out of the north and cut our day a little short, but we still caught 7 tunas.
- 07FridayAugust 2015Daunting inlet but a great day and a filled freezerWe faced a very daunting inlet and channel with no water this morning, but we made it out. We had picked away at the mahi most of the day. We stopped to jig around wreck and managed to catch a nice tuna and some greater amberjacks, the kids couldn't believe how hard they pulled, and the pure strength of these fish.
- 02SundayAugust 2015Flat, calm, and beautiful day for fishingThe ocean was flat calm beautiful today, and the fish didn't seem to mind the beautiful weather either. We caught some blackfin tunas and some mahi around a grass patch at the end of the day. The Sharks left us alone long enough to catch some greater amberjack as well. Sushi for dinner!!
- 30ThursdayJuly 2015Heavier winds than expected but good fishingWe set offshore this morning. The SE winds were a lot higher than expected and the fishing was slow. We decided to turn around and fish toward the beach. We fished around some wrecks and caught 6 amberjack for the boys, a Cobia, 2 king mackerel, and a citation spanish!
- 29WednesdayJuly 2015Water was hot but we squeaked out dinnerPretty scrappy fishing today, but we squeaked out enough for dinner. The water is still super hot and lots of current. We fished the prettiest grass line we've seen in weeks and put together 10 mahi, a king and some greater Amber jack. Thanks Maizey!
- 23ThursdayJuly 2015Decided to go Sharkin'...Sharkin'!! We decided to give the Sharks a try today. Conditions made it tough with 5 knots of current, It's just difficult to stay on top of the areas they live, but we did manage this 250lb bull shark. We didn't use all the bait so the guys also will be having tuna and amberjack tonight for dinner!
- 22WednesdayJuly 2015Great wahoo fishing todayWe started the day off with a citation wahoo, so what the heck let's keep wahoo fishing. We stayed in the shallows most of the day and ended up with 4 nice wahoos and lost a few more - 2 of which were citations! A giant amberjack attacked our Hawaiian eye which was the highlight of the day, a 55lber!!!
- 19SundayJuly 2015New wreck with Greater AmberjackThe mahi fishing was scrappy today for us. We pulled through grass all day to find the 20 that we caught! A few nicer gaffers finished up the day. We did find a new wreck that is loaded up with greater amberjack. It must have never been fished before because the fish were trying to eat the bottom of the boat!
- 17FridayJuly 2015Found the grass, the mahi and wahooWe hit a current edge with grass on it and landed right in the mahi this morning. Derek and his crew did a great job of boxing 55 in no time, We made a lap offshore looking for a marlin but there was a lot of current so we had to come into the shallows and look for a wahoo. We found 3 out of 6 bites and had a 45lb citation!!
- 16ThursdayJuly 2015Even with no grass we filled the boxWithout any grass to find mahi around today we started out blackfin tuna fishing, we caught roughly 20 or so before we hit the bottom and caught a limit of really nice sea bass! As we finished up the day a sailfish and a nice gaffer rounded out a beautiful day on the ocean! Thanks guys
- 13MondayJuly 2015Sharks made it hard todayMy the sharks seemed to get about everything today, but we were able to wrestle a few fish away from them. We found a grass edge with some mahi on it but a lightning storm decided to set up right where we wanted to be and had to run inshore to get away from it. We did find a few blackfins at the end of the day
- 11SaturdayJuly 2015Third and final day for the Hatteras Grand SlamWe finished up the Hatteras Grand Slam today with a giant blue marlin. We fought her for 3 hours with 50lbs of drag and had her on the leader 6 times before the hook pulled out. She drug us 12 miles to the east. Quite possibly one of the biggest fish Tim or I have encountered. Come on down and help us find her as she's still out there!
- 30TuesdayJune 2015Sailfish, mahi, and grouper were the catch todayThere hasn't been much of a grassline lately but we found a really pretty edge this morning that looked great, only problem was it lacked fish. We did get lucky and find 5 gaffers and a nice snowy grouper we plucked off the bottom. At the end of the day we got covered up with sailfish, they were jumping everywhere behind the boat, we hung onto this guy but the others got off. Made another circle and had quite an encounter with a white Marlin but he somehow managed to get free as well!!!
- 22MondayJune 2015Great catch with difficult weatherWe braved a rough morning as the wind was still blowing 20 out of the south west. But as we crossed into the Gulf Stream the current laid out the sea and it was manageable. We scrapped out 6 nice gaffers and some bailers. We made a few drops in the deep current before we were finally able to get a big bite from a grouper. Sometimes when the current is running at 4 knots it can be extremely difficult to get your bait to the fish. These big fish are on such small rockpiles that sometimes you just can't do it in the heavy current. But we did get lucky and caught a nice snowy. We rounded out the day with some blackfin tunas!
- 20SaturdayJune 2015No sea grass, no mahi but still filling hte boxWell the dolphin fishing today sucked, no grass, no current edge, no mahi!! We decided to still fill the box up though! We did catch 2 dolphins but the blackfins were biting, and we caught some big sea bass and a few silver snappers, greater lesser and almaco jacks rounded out the day! Thanks guys!
- 19FridayJune 2015Variety was the keyword of the dayVariety! There was no grass line this morning to fish on for mahi so we started on the rocks catching blackfins. We tried a few bottom spots for a big variety! Silver snapper, bass, vermillion snapper were the catch. We went offshore looking for a grouper but guess they took the day off. We found some rose fish though. As we were bottom fishing a submerged jet ski floated by, we caught a few triple tails and mahi around it. A few more mahi on a grass edge at the end of the day wrapped it up for us!!
- 18ThursdayJune 2015Nice bull sharkWe bailed about half a limit of Dolphins today and went looking for some sharks! We decided to try and catch some bait first. Not many people are willing to give up tunas for bait! But Larry and the boys from the mountains didn't mind. We caught 6 tunas and sent one down to the bottom didn't take long until we were hooked up! A big ol' bull shark!! The nice thing about shark fishing is you can eat the left over bait! Tunas!
- 13SaturdayJune 2015A rough day but a full boxBrooke and the nurses from labor and delivery braved a very, very, very rough day. The south west winds made it very choppy and with no tide it was down right rough. We found a tree top around mid day that was holding some gaffers and a weed line this afternoon finished off the limit. A snowy grouper and some amberjack topped off the ice box!!
- 11ThursdayJune 2015Reached our limit on mahi so we went bottom fishingThe mahi were biting this morning and we made short order of a limit of mahi then went looking out in the deep for a marlin. Well that didn't really work out so to the bottom we went catching some tasty bottom fish and Brenda got a 55 lb snowy grouper!
- 10WednesdayJune 2015Nice current edge and bottom fishingWe started off on a current edge this morning. The mahi were snapping and we had some good fishing with bailers and gaffers. The boys wanted to try the bottom and had some excellent action with triggers, bass, and silver snappers. A few greater amberjacks filled in the cracks in the kill box!!
- 04ThursdayJune 2015Some mahi and a great day on the bottomWe went looking for Tom's marlin most of the morning but all we found were mahi! We made 1 drop to the bottom and did find a 40lb grouper! At the end of the day we decided to look around for some snappers and triggers for supper. A limit of vermillion snappers and a few triggerfish rounded out the box. The catch of the day was a 9lb triggerfish that is the largest trigger we have ever seen.
- 03WednesdayJune 2015Like a fish out of waterWe decided against fishing today due to the lightning offshore. Some boats did venture out but we took the day off and pulled the boat out of the water to have annual maintenance items taken care of; motor alignment, bottom paint, temperature probe, and a few other odds and ends that can't be fixed in the water. Will be back out again tomorrow!
- 02TuesdayJune 2015Great day and some nice fish in the boxIt was a picture perfect day except someone forgot to tell the mahi to wake up! There was a great current edge with grass on it this morning but not many fish. A few nice gaffers some sea bass and this great big snowy grouper probably one of the biggest ones we have ever caught! We actually thought it was a shark at first because he was pulling so hard, and took so much drag. Captain Andy even had to get his picture taken with this bruiser!
- 01MondayJune 2015Nice gaffers and a grouperMike, his wife, and Elvis fished with us today. Mike got his personal best mahi today! The mahi fishing was a little slower but we did catch 5 big gaffers, some bottom fish, and a nice grouper! The catch of the day was when Elvis decided to bail out and chase a grouper! We got him back though! Sorry no picture.
- 31SundayMay 2015Nice bottom fishing even with the sharksWe decided to stay on the bottom all day. We started deep on the goldens but the Sharks were terrible, we did find one 40 lb'er though. Triggerfish, vermillion snapper, glass eye snapper, snowy grouper, and golden tilefish were the catch of the day. Some of the best eating fish in the ocean!
- 29FridayMay 2015No marlins but nice snappers for dinnerWendy wanted to look for a marlin, so we spent most of the day out in the deep skipping big baits. We finally got out of the current at the end of the day down south where it was in the low 80's. Unfortunately no Marlins. We made a few drops to catch some snappers for supper!
- 28ThursdayMay 2015Nice bigeye and yellowfin todayWe decided to make a left out of the inlet this morning and burn some fuel, why not they make it every day right? The whales and porpoises were in the cooler water way to the Northeast and the big eye tunas were there as well! We caught 2 big yellowfins early, then after a few missed opportunities on the big eyes we finally connected with this 160lb fish! We had all big gear out and Tim decided to put out 1-50 wide with 80lb leader, yep you guessed it that's the one she ate!!
- 25MondayMay 2015Great way to spend Memorial DayWe got to spend a beautiful day in the ocean on Memorial Day. The best part of the day was the weather! The ocean was calm the temperature was cool, and the fishing was slow. Pat caught this nice gaffer at the end of the day. We caught 4 mahi and a few small blackfins. We tried to bottom fish but the current got us!
- 24SundayMay 2015A trophy fish kind of dayWe ended up with a trophy fish kind of day. The day started off with this big white marlin and with the slow mahi talk on the radio we decided to drop to the bottom. A limit of golden tiles and grouper filled the box up nicely, a few gaffers rounded out the day!
- 22FridayMay 2015Gaffers and a grouperWith the North wind this morning we made our way down south. There was a pretty current edge with mahi on it. Steve and the boys made pretty work out of some nice gaffers. Late in the afternoon we made our way offshore so Keith could get his yearly grouper citation! 1 drop 1 citation, great job guys!
- 21ThursdayMay 2015Great day even with a South EasterWe headed to the east this morning right into a South Easter, which made for terrible scattered grass. Our second bite of the day was a big old fat blue marlin. Reuben fought him for an hour and did a great job. A nice 400lber. We picked around the scattered grass mess the rest of the day and found some nice mahi!
- 17SundayMay 2015Great day of Gaffers and a Blue MarlinWe headed to the south this morning and found a pretty grass line that we ended up catching 27 big gaffers. A few boats were beginning to see Marlins above us so we headed up that way with the big baits out. Our first encounter was a long rigger bite that never got hooked, the next fish ate both teasers before we hooked him on a pitch bait. A nice 400lber put on quite a show before we released him.
- 16SaturdayMay 2015Calm day with a 500lb blue marlin and mahi in the boxThe weather was slick, calm, and beautiful and the big Dolphins made a showing as well. The highlight of the day was a 500lb blue marlin that made a few acrobatic leaps after eating a big bait and showing us just how powerful he was. He pulled the hook but maybe we'll find him tomorrow!!
- 13WednesdayMay 2015Rough winds, great fishingFirst named storm kept the boats in for a few days. Great to get out. We survived a rough ocean today. SW wind this morning pushed us up to the east and a stiff N wind pushed us home this afternoon. We caught some great old big yellowfins to top off the fish box. It doesn't take many 50lb tunas to fill it up!!
- 03SundayMay 2015Good catch even in cold waterAfter yesterdays big North blow we were faced with some odd water conditions, the cold 55 degree water was pushed out to 100 fathoms, which we very rarely see this time of year. We managed to find the guys some tunas and a nice grouper. Hopefully the warm water will push back in over the bottom tonight. It seemed like there were plenty of tunas around.
- 29WednesdayApril 2015Lineup of Mahi, Tunas, and a WahooWe enjoyed a great day offshore. The Dolphins (Mahi) quit biting around 10 this morning, but that's ok because the tunas started snoring at 12. I guess 2 hours of boredom isn't so bad. We sure made our guys today a believer out of the Greenstick!! A 55lb yellowfin was the biggest fish of the day.
- 24FridayApril 2015Late day on the greenstickWe left around 8:30 this morning due to wind. The tunas didn't start biting until 4:00, so that's why the picture is taken in the dark-nice sunset. But Stan and his crew ended up with plenty of tunas, and a nice grouper. Most of the bites were on the Greenstick. Sure is pretty watching the sunset and tunas bust on a slick calm ocean!!
- 21TuesdayApril 2015Fish box full of golden tilefish and a snowy grouperKil Song and his guys waiting until 11 this morning until we could get out the inlet, we ended up fishing until dark. His goal was to test out a few black hole rods on the golden tilesfish, and a nice 50lb snowy grouper. I'd have to say they worked. All these were hand cranked from over 900 feet of water with 2 knots of current. We hugged around some wrecks as well on the way home to top off the fish box! Thanks Kil.
- 18SaturdayApril 2015Successful day on the greenstickMEAT SLAM...The guys had non stop Greenstick action all morning with blackfin tunas up to 31 pounds.. A mess of Dolphins kept us busy during midday and and a double header wahoo rounded out the meat slam. The highlight of the day was a 6lb sea bass!!!
- 12SundayApril 2015Snowy grouper, a box filled with blackfin, and jigging for amberjackThe tunas didn't want to bite until after lunch today, but Choi and his crew made short order if 22 blackfins, not to mention a 44lb grouper as well. We stopped and did some jigging around the wrecks on the way home for some amberjack.
- 11SaturdayApril 2015Golden tielfish, snowy grouper, and some tunasWe started the day off bottom fishing for golden tilefish, and a nice snowy grouper. It took us awhile to find them but when we did it was ON! After limiting out we ventured up to the rocks to see if the tunas wanted to check out the greenstick, and they did! Most of them were smaller today, but we managed 2 over 20lbs. Thanks guys see you next year!
- 09ThursdayApril 2015Limit of triggerfish, a snowy grouper, and a some tunasWe had a great day starting out with bottom fishing. Some of the best eating fish in the ocean is found in bottom fishing. After we limited out on triggerfish we went looking for a grouper and found a nice 35lb grouper to add to the ice box. We finished the day off greenstick fising for tunas. Greenstick fishing is an exciting and effective way to catch tunas that won't eat trolling baits.
- 31TuesdayMarch 2015Great day bouncing the bottom and getting citationsBryson and his granddad enjoyed a great day bouncing around the bottom. Even had a double header citation sea bass to go along with his citation grouper!! Came back to the dock with a great catch of grouper, jacks, triggerfish, eb-liner, sea bass, and a lonely mahi. Looking forward to some great eating.
- 22SundayMarch 2015Ocean was alive and healthy todayThe ocean was alive and healthy today with plenty of bluefin tunas. We released big momma and got a nice keeper for the box. We finished out the day with a yellowfin and 18 tiles. Today seemed like the best showing of keeper size fish we've seen this year, slicks flat spots, and lots of marks on the screen. Let's hope they stick around.
- 17TuesdayMarch 2015Bluefins performed a Houdini so we caught amberjack and tilefishThe bluefins decided to pull a Houdini act on us today. After hearing the reports of seeing 100's of fish yesterday we thought for sure they would be around the point this morning but they do have tails and decided to take the day off. Didn't hear of any bites by the fleet and at 3:00 decided to crank the greenstick in and catch some dinner!! More than likely they moved offshore and hopefully decide to show back up tomorrow
- 10TuesdayMarch 2015Another day, Let's do some bottom fishing!!!With enough tuna from yesterday the guys wanted to try for some bottom fish. Fishing was rather good, catching limits of triggerfish, amberjack, blue line tilefish, snowy grouper, yellowedge grouper and a few weird lookin orange fish! Mike I hope you have extra fillet knives for your crew to help clean!!
- 09MondayMarch 2015Still catching bluefin on a full moonWith the full moon lately the bluefins seem to be eating early and late. We got an early start this morning and hooked a double just as the dun started to crack the horizon, perfect keeper size!! We also released a nice fish just before we picked up lines. There seem to be plenty of fish around. Hopefully they will decide to start eating a little better the next few days!
- 02MondayMarch 2015Bluefins are finally here!We have had a very cold and windy winter down here on the outer banks, the sound even froze over last week, now that's cold. Between wind storms Tim and I have been commercial Dogshark fishing, and working on the boat for this spring, and summer. Yesterday we had a break in the wind and a few boats got offshore, and the found the Giant Bluefin Tunas! Its time to go if you have ever wanted to try your hand at battling one of these giant Bluefin tunas. We have some open days left in march, and april as well.
- 07SaturdayFebruary 2015Great day on the water catching snowy grouper, tilefish, sea bass, and triggerfishOur crew today wanted to do some bottom fishing and try to fill up the fish box, and that we did!! Tilefish were biting , plenty of triggerfish, 1 nice citation grouper, and we rounded the box off with a limit of sea bass, including a 7.5lber!!! I'm pretty sure they will be going to the grocery store tonight for oil, and breadcrumbs!!
- 17SaturdayJanuary 2015Weatherman was off but still caught some nice onesWell the weatherman was way off today in Hatteras. Very stiff NE winds made for a tough day. We managed to catch some really nice tilefish up to 13lbs, plus one grouper. We finished the day out jigging for tuna but the sharks were hungrier than we were today.
- 11SundayJanuary 2015Jigging for blackfin in 2015We had excellent tuna fishing, big blackfins on jigs. The guys caught 20 and will have plenty of sushi. If anyone want to try their luck with jigging, 80lb braid, and 80 lb leaders are recommended. It's what all our rods are outfitted with. Most butterfly jigs will do the trick but we prefer blue or pink holographic colors. It's a very exciting hands on technique!